Songwriter Micah Gilbert was born in Athens, Georgia, and grew up in various southeastern U.S. cities. He performed both as a solo artist and in various bands including “Glass Bead Game” before resettling in Athens, Georgia, a town whose music scene is legendary. There he developed a following as the main songwriter, lead vocalist, and guitarist for the popular band Magister Ludi (A follow up to the “Glass Bead Game” band). The band was loved by fans and respected by critics. Hailed as
‘a breath of fresh musical air’
Magister Ludi picked up considerable radio airplay and was lauded by the press for the:
compelling songs, strong vocals, ‘ringing guitar hooks’, and ‘infectious groove’.
After Magister Ludi Micah released his 11-song solo CD, Book of Changes (Mellifluid), co-produced with New-York-based producer/engineer Garry Rindfuss and recorded at John Keane’s studio in Athens. The CD captured the admiration of listeners and critics alike, twice earning invitations to perform at South-by-Southwest (SXSW) in Austin, Texas. He then made the international move to Scotland, where he is busily focused on songwriting and on recording both his own music and that of others. Recently asked to provide two songs for a short film by an up-and-coming Scottish film-maker, he is increasingly attracted to this kind of outlet for his material. Micah’s songs have been appreciated on many levels, for their
‘distinct and memorable melodies’, ‘skilful, well crafted, intelligent lyrics’, ‘vivid images’, ‘catchy subtlety’, and ‘fine details’.
He is a professional member of the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers, and Authors (BASCA), and affiliated as a writer with BMI.
- Micah has been fortunate to have worked with many gifted musicians and artists over the years.
- Recently he recorded two musical pieces for Woodstock Writers Radio for Martha Frankel
- In 2015, and again in 2016 Micah had the pleasure of performing at Liverpool’s well known venue, The Cavern Club.
- Currently Micah is recording and releasing songs into the wild, and working with musicians from Scotland, England, Ireland, and the U.S.A.
- Micah is finalizing the work on his new CD.
- Individual songs will be available for streaming in September, 2016.